Saturday 21 June 2014

An Idiot Abroad....For The First Time


Ciao!

Guess what? I have just returned from my first ever trip abroad and I have to say, it was truly incredible! The selected location was Milan as ever since my admiration for the Romans developed, I have craved a visit to Italy and it certainly didn't disappoint.

I'll get the shallow attractions out of the way first: as a woman insanely attracted to muscular men with dark hair, dark eyes and stubble, Italy was awash with lust-evoking, Roman-nosed, musically-accented gods . I shall never gaze at a British policeman again for the two Italian policemen I saw were worth not just a gaze, but a full-on, mouth-open gawp. Another of my favourites was the soldier who searched by bag going in to the Cathedral (picture attached, ladies: feast your eyes)



So, apart from the men, what else did I love? The architecture is insane. Ornate detailing (the breath taking Cathedral has over 3500 statues), rooftop gardens, shutters and balconies: yes, yes, yes! Okay, the less central areas had a mild concrete obsession and graffiti problem, but you still got the odd gem of canary yellow gorgeousness. The food was second to none and the fact that every drink came with free food made this a strong feature of the mini break. Okay, so a bottle of Budweiser was 8 euros and a can of coke 4, but when you got continental bread, salted popcorn, crisps or an unlimited buffet COMPLETELY FREE, it was more than worth it. Stereotypically, I had a pizza the first day and it was so light, so perfect and FIVE EUROS. In Britain we pay £17 for a stodgy, heavy Dominos but in Milan, I paid £4 for the dreamiest Romana (obviously) pizza ever to be consumed. Life=Made.

As my first time abroad, it was also my first time on a plane. I was nervous to say the least but I actually loved it, take-off more than landing it must be said. Flying over cloud formations and the Alps was so exciting for me, although my sister (a jet setting pro) quickly became bored by my childish begging for her to "look! look!" Unfortunately, we flew Ryan Air which I will try to avoid in the future, (the seats were too close, the plane a little tired and the crew garishly dressed)  but for £25 each way, you can't really complain. It had a window and for my first time on a plane, that was more than enough for me. Luigi loved it too.


Now I'm back in dear old Blighty and I well and truly have the travel bug. Arriving home at 2AM, by 2:30AM I had noted all the locations you can fly to from London Stansted airport. As for my next blog, I hope to write it from a cosy bistro in Copenhagen but for now, buonanotte.

ITPTSO
x

No comments:

Post a Comment